We believe …
1. In God. The one and only God who is holy, eternal, unchangeable, almighty and sovereign.
- “I am the Almighty God; walk before Me, and be thou perfect” (Genesis 17:1)
- “I the LORD your God am Holy” (Leviticus 19:2)
- “Hear O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4)
- “For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed”. (Malachi 3:6)
- “And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent” (John 17:3)
- “His eternal power and Godhead” (Romans 1:20)
2. That although one God, there are three persons in the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit.
- “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth” (Genesis 1:26)
- “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word,” (Jesus Christ) “and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one” (1 John 5:7)
3. That the Bible is God’s infallible Word, given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
- “Every Word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him” (Proverbs 30:5)
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16)
- “But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever” (1 Peter 1:25)
4. That God created all things in six days (of twenty-four hours) and by His providence maintains His created works in being.
- “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it” (Exodus 20:11)
- “He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?” (Romans 8:32)
5. That as God rested on the seventh day, He has given us one day in seven in which to rest and worship Him. Christians rest on Sunday, which is called the Lord’s Day, because on the first day of the week, Jesus Christ, God’s Son rose from the dead.
- “And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made” (Genesis 2:2)
- “And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them” (Acts 20:7)
- “Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him” (concerning the collections) (1 Corinthians 16:2)
6. That God created man in his own image, sinless with a never dying soul. Yet when Adam disobeyed God in the garden of Eden it was impossible for mankind to save themselves from the just punishment of God for their sins. We are none the less accountable to God for all our thoughts, words and actions. And after death will have to appear before God at the judgment seat of Christ.
- “So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them” (Genesis 1:27)
- “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into His nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7).
- “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
- “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (2 Corinthians 5:10)
7. That “God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). This is the only way of salvation.
8. That salvation is not of man’s free will, but entirely of God’s free grace.
- “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him” (John 3:36)
- “All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out” (John 6:37)
- “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44)
- “For by grace ye are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8)
9. That Jesus, the eternal Son of God, was sent by God the Father, to save His people. He did this by taking into union with His divine nature, a pure, holy, human nature, in which He lived, suffered and died to atone for their sins, and rose from the dead on the third day.
- “Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel” (Isaiah 7:14)
- “…the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins” (Matthew 1:20-21)
- “In the beginning was the Word”, (Jesus Christ) “and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1)
- “For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world though Him might be saved” (John 3:17)
10. That Jesus is now risen again from death, in that same body, and now reigns and intercedes for His people at the right hand of God.
- “And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay” (Matthew 28:5-6)
- “…He was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God” (Mark 16:19)
- “Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself: handle Me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have” (Luke 24:39)
- “Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them” (Hebrews 7:25)
11. That it is the work of God the Holy Spirit to awaken sinners, for whom Christ died, into a new life in their souls (called the new birth). The Holy Spirit effectually calls and brings them all to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour. Only those who are so led by the Spirit will reach heaven.
- “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water, and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5)
- “It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63)
- “Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come” (John 16:13)
- “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God” (Romans 8:14)
- “The Spirit Itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God” (Romans 8:16)
- “And you hath He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1)
12. That all who are saved by Christ will desire to live to God’s honour and glory and to act consistently with His word at all times.
- “Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance” (Matthew 3:8)
- “That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10)
- “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him” (Colossians 2:6)
- “But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” (James 2:20)
13. That the Lord Jesus Christ instituted two sacraments to be observed by His Church on earth. These are Believer’s Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- “And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered Him. And Jesus, when He was baptized went up straightway out of the water” (Matthew 3:15-16)
- “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19)
- “For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which He was betrayed took bread: And when He had given thanks, He break it, and said, Take eat: this is My body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me… For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till He come” (1 Corinthians 11:23, 24, 26)
14. That Jesus Christ will return to this earth in His glory (on a day known only to God) and will judge the earth in righteousness.
- “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation” (John 5:28-29)
- “Because He hath appointed a day, in the which He will judge the world in righteousness by that Man whom He hath ordained; whereof He hath given assurance unto all men, in that He hath raised Him from the dead” (Acts 17:31)
- “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation” (Hebrews 9:27-28)